Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pulling Teeth

Writing:
I don't know why, but writing the first chapter is like pulling teeth! I have a bad feeling that the next couple of chapters are going to be the same way. For whatever reason, I keep having good ideas for scenes and moments further along in the book, but not the beginning. For instance, last night, as I was getting ready to climb into bed I had an idea for a scene several chapters later than what I'm writing that I had to go to the lap top and write. Grrrr!!! Why is this? I'm guessing that part of it is the further along the book goes, the more exciting it gets. What does this mean? Well once I've reached "The End" I am going to start pulling more teeth to edit the beginning of the book so that it is also exciting or at least not boring(you do have to build.) Something I wonder about is what I heard, umm read, from another author's blog. That author, I belive it was Rachel Vincent, said how she likes to try to get a chapter out a day and if it takes more than a couple of days to get a chapter out she feels like her pace is off, aka slow, even if it really isn't. So, is that what is up? Because it has taken me several, several days due to my writing time limitations(aka 5 month old baby) to get out a prologue(which I haven't decided to keep or not) and 1/2 to 2/3's of the first chapter.
Maybe it's a combo of those two things. Doesn't matter because I can't fix the latter and I'm more concerned with just getting through this book and the first chapters rather than editing to spice it up.
Riding:
Not a whole stinking lot! It has been raining continously for what seems like forever. In fact, about a week ago, a new record for rainfall in Oct. was set. That was before these past few days of rain, rain, rain. Luckily enough I was able to "work and ride" Rain yesterday afternoon. I put quotations on that because it wasn't much of a work out. Really my husband and I were just trying to get some under saddle photographs and video footage for a potential buyer who lives out of state. Of course, now we have to figure out how to get the video on the computer so we can edit it(I really, really hate the sound of my own voice.)
Anyways, back to writing:
24 minutes, 28 and 2/3's pages, 10014 words

No comments:

Post a Comment