Thursday, February 18, 2016

Second Draft and Short Stories

So I'm on a second draft and I don't know how to stop. I read through the draft, made notes and then from the beginning, I started editing. Unlike previous works, I did a very detailed outline before draft one and it served me well in D2. I didn't have a lot of plot to fix. So I started shaping paragraphs and now I'm doing more nitty gritty. By gritty, I mean I'm doing lots of find it searches for words I know I use over much and for other "lazy writing" such as I saw, I felt, I heard... And so on. But I'm wearing thin. In the past second drafts I just did a go through and stopped when I got to the end. There was no nitty gritty until  at least draft 3, probably more like 4. I have Googled the snot out of second drafts but to be honest there just isn't a lot out there about it and knowing when to let it sit. So I'm going on instinct. I think I'm going to let it go, give it to my beta reader and breathe. It sure doesn't help I'm feeling the itch to get back to some unfinished stuff :)

As for short stories, last night I decided I needed to enter a contest and/or submit to publish a short story. I'm hoping to get some feedback on my writing or get something short published. This morning I was more realistic and acknowledged this is not an easier path to publication than the one I'm on. It is just a different path. But may be, just maybe I'll take a gander, meander a little ways, at least until where the path curves and I can see what's around the corner.
Never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment