Tuesday, October 20, 2015

When I don't want to write

Yeah, it happens. I don't want to write. There are all sorts of reasons at any given time. But why now? Am I burnt out? Maybe. But I don't think that's really it because last night I wrote about 2000 words of a story that popped in my head as I was putting my daughter to bed. The scene was so vivid, I couldn't ignore it. So once she was asleep, I laid her down and went straight to my laptop. I finished the scene, took a shower and then wrote some more. The rest wasn't as complete, but it was there.  I try not to let inspiration get away. But right now I think what the real problem is is that I've got too much going on. I've got a novel I'm querying but keep editing cause I can't let it go. I've got a completed first draft that's sat long enough, I think, and needs to move on to the second draft. I've got a fantasy story brewing but I'm not letting myself dig into because it needs some serious world/character building before I wrote it if I want the writing process to go smoothly. I've got a new story that just popped in my head but I don't really know, but I think I do, where I need to take it. I don't even know her name and I won't name her because to name her is to commit to writing her. And it's really not her time. Although she's saying it is.
See? Too much going on! I need to commit. But to what? Who gets my attention?
I just spent 15 minutes and four pages into my competed first draft and barely changed anything. Is it too soon? Am I not commited enough? Am I lazy and don't want to edit? I DONT KNOW!
So, what am I going to do?
I'm going to name her. Because I don't want to edit. Because I want to write a crazy first draft. I'm going to give her my time and when hubby gets home from working out of town, I'll print out first draft that needs to become second draft and I'll read it. Then I'll read it with a red pen in hand. May be ;)
Chase your dreams even when you're not sure where you're going.

No comments:

Post a Comment